Bradford Edwards’ Sports Practice is comprised of commercially-savvy attorneys who provide comprehensive advisory services to athletes, leagues, team and league executives, and merchandise brands. Whether in a sports-related litigation, arbitration or contract negotiation, our attorneys are creative, resourceful, and, when appropriate, aggressive, in advancing our clients’ interests. We work diligently to educate our clients so that they have a comprehensive understanding of their circumstances, allowing them to identify and work to achieve their objectives and mitigate risks.
Areas of Focus
- Contract Negotiations. Partner John Kofi Osei-Tutu is a registered National Hockey League agent that has negotiated over $15,000,000 in contracts for ice hockey players domestically and internationally. John has experience representing extreme sports Olympic athletes in contract negotiations. John’s experience as an agent and as attorney make him uniquely qualified to assist athletes faced with crisis situations such as league disciplinary matters or investigations, personal disputes, immigration issues or emergencies that may adversely impact their reputation.
- Negotiations, Deals and NCAA Compliances. Bradford Edwards attorneys have worked with international equipment and apparel brands on deal structures that protect the amateurism of NCAA Athletes; represented current NCAA and NCAA-bound athletes on entity formation and deal structure, ensuring that our clients are appropriately compensated for their work while maintaining compliance with the rapidly evolving Name, Image and Likeness regulatory landscape. The work does not stop there. Our clients view us as strategic partners in career and life planning such that, as these athletes grow from amateur to professionals and their needs increase, Bradford Edwards attorneys are there to help navigate each frontier.
- Antitrust. We appeared in Alston v. NCAA, a case before the U.S. Supreme Court case where our amicus brief helped to propel a 9-0 victory in favor of college athletes.
- Dispute Resolution. Our attorneys possess keen litigation skills and have represented sports agencies and individuals in general commercial litigation and before various arbitral bodies. We have helped clients faced with crisis situations such as league disciplinary matters or investigations, private arbitrations of business disputes, rights of publicity, immigration issues, or emergencies that may adversely impact their reputation.
- Antitrust Counseling & Representation
- Contract Negotiations
- Crisis Management
- Marketing and Sponsorships
- Litigation and Arbitration
- Media and Entertainment